[rabbitmq-discuss] Node not running

Tim Watson tim at rabbitmq.com
Thu Oct 25 13:47:23 BST 2012

Hi

On 10/25/2012 12:43 PM, chetan dev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have two  clustered disc nodes running happily on different
> systems for e.g. node1(system1) and node2(system2).
> Now i put on sleep the computer which holds node1 and check cluster
> status on system2 , it shows that node2 is running.
> Now i start  system1 , node1 starts automatically . But when i check
> clustering status on  system 1 , it shows only node1 is running and
> when i do the same for system2 it shows that only node2 is running.
> Now what happened to clustering ?

By 'putting node1 to sleep' you have created a network partition, and
rabbitmq clusters are not tolerant to network partitions. If you post
the logs from both nodes then we can see exactly what went wrong. But in
general, you should not use clustering on networks that are subject to
partition or run clustered nodes on servers that are likely to shutdown
or sleep without first stopping the rabbit node running on them.