[rabbitmq-discuss] How to structure Master with many slaves? RPC??

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Tue Oct 23 10:13:53 BST 2012

Hi,

On 23/10/12 01:41, theBuckWheat wrote:
> I have a SETI-like slave pool, but I maintain the list of which slaves I want
> to send work to and which are kept idle.  The slave does the work assigned
> and prepares the response dataset to be sent back..
>
> Question: since I may turn on a slave to accept some work and later take
> others out of the pool dynamically, what is the best RabbitMQ queue
> topology?  RPC?

If the slaves are interchangeable and you don't care about separating
different types of work items then you only need one work queue and one
response queue. Slaves all consume from the same shared work queue and
send completed work to the shared response queue in this scenario. This
corresponds to the pattern in tutorial 2 and 6:
http://www.rabbitmq.com/tutorials/tutorial-two-python.html
http://www.rabbitmq.com/tutorials/tutorial-six-python.html

-Emile