[rabbitmq-discuss] Nightlies now available - help us test RabbitMQ 3.0

Brendan Hay brendan at soundcloud.com
Sun Oct 21 09:30:32 BST 2012

On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 7:06 PM, Simon MacMullen <simon at rabbitmq.com> wrote:

> On 20/10/2012 12:27PM, Matthias Radestock wrote:
>
>> Why are we concerned about the performance of http / json? Neither
>> appear in the AMQP message path. So what are we trying to improve here?
>> The management API/UI? Web-STOMP? I am not aware of many complaints
>> about the performance of these, and certainly not any that would point
>> to the json codec or http handling as the bottleneck.
>>

> When I did performance testing of mgmt a year or so ago, I found that JSON
> encoding really *is* the bottleneck in many cases - this is the reason why
> the ?columns= parameter exists, and also why it's implemented in terms of
> throwing away information just before we encode it.
>
> But no, unless someone has a good reason for why HTTP API performance is a
> big deal for them, faster JSON is pretty low down the list of priorities.

In my case, it's simply to lower the overhead of making repeated calls to
the HTTP API for monitoring and statistics services.

A current example where we see poor performance is when attempting to get
connection metrics from a single node, with in excess of 10K connections.
The Web UI or some other HTTP GET to the /connections endpoint takes
multiple seconds on an averagely utilised machine, even when using ?columns=

Obviously I'd like to a) have granular and informative monitoring and
statistics, but b) avoid monitoring software causing undue load

It would classify it as a nice to have, and I brought it up since the
current bundling of cowboy + mochiweb was mentioned.