[rabbitmq-discuss] understanding the inet_dist_listen_min inet_dist_listen_max

Tim Watson tim at rabbitmq.com
Wed Oct 17 14:43:25 BST 2012

Hi

On 10/17/2012 02:38 PM, Mark Ward wrote:
> Hi,
>
> To help networking manage firewalls the inet_dist_listen needs to be
> used in the RabbitMQ configuration.  I have not been able to find
> information on best practices with the min/max values.  Is it possible
> to use a single port range for the min/max or how much of a span
> should be provided for a RabbitMQ cluster?

The inet_dist settings you've mentioned are actually part of the Erlang
distribution mechanism. When Erlang nodes want to talk to each other,
they do so via the Erlang Port Mapper Daemon. If you want to limit the
ports available then you can, but you will need a port available for
each Erlang node in the distributed system. So don't limit the available
ports to a value lower than the number of nodes that need to talk to
each other!

HTH