[rabbitmq-discuss] Declaring bindings by an app that is not the consumer

jgyllen jacob at cookiejunkie.com
Fri Oct 5 02:15:40 BST 2012

I'm building an app where producers need to have messages routed to
consumers. The producers are web app instances and the consumers are
stateful backend servers that are responsible for processing messages
tagged with a specific label. Deciding which consumer is responsible for a
specific label is decided by a third app (called the "broker"). A consumer
is responsible for one or more labels and no two consumers are responsible
for the same one. The responsibilities can change over time depending on
the load or availability of backend servers. Each consumer has one queue
and its labels are set using bindings with the routing key as the label.

Now I'm wondering who should declare the bindings. In all RabbitMQ examples
I have seen and other apps I have worked on, the bindings are declared by
the consumer. To follow that convention the broker would need to notify the
backend servers for them to declare the correct bindings. Or I'm wondering
if the broker could do it, and if so, are there any drawbacks?