[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ won't install via apt on ubuntu 12.04

Orion Fillmore ofillmore at sister.tv
Wed Oct 3 16:05:37 BST 2012

Hello,

First off, this is such an incredibly helpful list.  Thanks to everyone who has helped me along the way.

Ok, my current issue is that when I do a apt-get install per the rabbitmq.com install page, I get this error.   I check the s/var/log/rabbitmq/startup_log and /var/log/rabbitmq/startup_err and they give nothing more than timestamps with a success/fail message.  Nothing specific about whats going on.  So, I tried something else.  See after this code.

sudo apt-get install rabbitmq-server
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  rabbitmq-server
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
Need to get 2,903 kB of archives.
After this operation, 3,973 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://www.rabbitmq.com/debian/ testing/main rabbitmq-server all 2.8.7-1 [2,903 kB]
Fetched 2,903 kB in 2s (990 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package rabbitmq-server.
(Reading database ... 73370 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking rabbitmq-server (from .../rabbitmq-server_2.8.7-1_all.deb) ...
Processing triggers for ureadahead ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up rabbitmq-server (2.8.7-1) ...
 * Starting message broker rabbitmq-server
 * FAILED - check /var/log/rabbitmq/startup_\{log, _err\}
   ...fail!
invoke-rc.d: initscript rabbitmq-server, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing rabbitmq-server (--configure):
No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already
 rabbitmq-server

Here is what I tried to get more info.
root at shinken:/var/lib# rabbitmqctl start_app
Starting node rabbit at shinken ...
Error: unable to connect to node rabbit at shinken: nodedown

DIAGNOSTICS
===========

nodes in question: [rabbit at shinken]

hosts, their running nodes and ports:
- shinken: [{rabbit,50111},{rabbitmqctl5964,47436}]

current node details:
- node name: rabbitmqctl5964 at shinken
- home dir: /var/lib/rabbitmq
- cookie hash: JjTKXh2A74lrJZ3+meAaAA==

And I then ran this (same result)
root at shinken:/var/lib# rabbitmqctl status
Status of node rabbit at shinken ...
Error: unable to connect to node rabbit at shinken: nodedown

DIAGNOSTICS
===========

nodes in question: [rabbit at shinken]

hosts, their running nodes and ports:
- shinken: [{rabbit,50111},{rabbitmqctl6261,39404}]

current node details:
- node name: rabbitmqctl6261 at shinken
- home dir: /var/lib/rabbitmq
- cookie hash: JjTKXh2A74lrJZ3+meAaAA==

I have read through some threads and read some things about my hostname being resolved.  I checked my /etc/hosts and I have a line with 127.0.0.1 localhost and 127.0.0.1 shinken.
This config works on another box of mine.   Also, my /etc/hostnames file just says "rabbit".

What should I be looking to do?

Thanks in advance.

Orion Fillmore