[rabbitmq-discuss] Unnecessarily complex packaging (Fedora)

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Tue Oct 2 12:09:51 BST 2012

On 28/09/12 17:59, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 7:54 AM, Simon MacMullen<simon at rabbitmq.com>  wrote:
>> On 28/09/12 13:30, Lionel Cons wrote:
>>>
>>> I've looked at the init script as part of
>>> rabbitmq-server-2.8.7-1.noarch.rpm
>>> and I find it unnecessarily complex.
>>
>> It *is* complex. I *think* all the complexity is necessary.
>
> The complexity is not necessary, at least on Fedora 16 and up.  By
> switching to a native systemd service file, the startup is much, much
> simpler:

Well, that is simpler in one dimension (much less complicated init
script). But it doesn't actually address one issue that the OP was
talking about - the fact that we change users in different ways / places.

> Of course, that doesn't help RHEL, at least not until RHEL switches to systemd.

Indeed. Hopefully we can convert to these various next-gen init
replacements at some point, but we want to be fairly backward-compatible
and conservative here.

Incidentally, can I just point out how pleased I am that there is such a
rich variety of init replacements that every distro seems to be able to
pick a different one...

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen