[rabbitmq-discuss] Cannot join cluster

Francesco Mazzoli francesco at rabbitmq.com
Fri Nov 30 18:03:27 GMT 2012

At Thu, 29 Nov 2012 13:05:31 -0800 (PST),
Horia Toma wrote:
> I'm trying to setup a cluster for HA. It all worked fine with several
> instances on the same machine, but when I try to join a cluster set up on
> some other machine, I keep on getting:
> Error: cannot_discover_cluster: The nodes provided are either offline or
> not run
>
> The servers on both machines were created using the same cookie and I can
> ping one machine from the other. Port is listening and not blocked.
>
> Any idea?

Hi Horia,

As the error indicates the erlang node from which you are trying to cluster to
cannot reach the other node.  My best guess is that the hostname is not being
resolved correctly, so please check that the host is reachable and that, if you
are on windows, it is in uppercase.  See
<http://www.rabbitmq.com/clustering.html> for more info.

Also, try to issue

    rabbitmqctl eval 'net_adm:ping(node at host).'

On the machine with the node you are trying to cluster from, where `node at host'
is the node you are trying to cluster to.  If you get a `pang' this will confirm
that the erlang node can’t be reached.

Francesco