[rabbitmq-discuss] High availability questions

Chris Toomey ctoomey at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 21:54:02 GMT 2012

Hi,

I'm fairly new to RabbitMQ and we're in the process of setting up our
production RabbitMQ servers.  We're going to set up a server cluster and
will use mirrored queues for high availability. I've read through the great
documentation you guys have on these topics but still have some questions.

1) Given the clustered server redundancy and mirrored queues, is there any
reason to still make exchanges/queues/messages durable?  Is it just to
protect against the case when all nodes in the cluster fail?

2) In order to update the server configuration, it's necessary to restart,
correct?  If so, what's the best way to accomplish config. updates across a
cluster while minimizing downtime and loss of redundancy?

3) Same question for upgrading to a newer version of RabbitMQ?

thx,
Chris