[rabbitmq-discuss] Heartbeats in Ruby

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Wed Nov 21 15:36:30 GMT 2012

Michael,

On 21/11/12 15:19, Michael Klishin wrote:
> 2012/11/21 Matthias Radestock <matthias at rabbitmq.com
> <mailto:matthias at rabbitmq.com>>
>
>     However, some clients do not implement the AMQP spec correctly and
>     ignore the server's suggestion. I don't know whether ruby-amqp is
>     one of them.
>
> If this value is sent with connection.tune-ok, it is a one line change
> to make amqp gem use it.

The server sends its suggested value with connection.tune. The client is
expected to send back a tune-ok with the values it insists on using.

> Right now it is used
> but I see that client-side default takes precedence, making the
> server-sent value effectively not used.

The "official" clients take the minimum of the client and server value,
special-casing on 0. See, e.g.
http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-java-client/file/09504eed7022/src/com/rabbitmq/client/impl/AMQConnection.java#l377.

Matthias.