[rabbitmq-discuss] Once again: big, big trouble attempting a clean reinstall

Pollard, James Jim.Pollard at QinetiQ-NA.com
Tue Nov 20 19:22:32 GMT 2012

Hello rabbitmq experts.

I'm not experienced in installation, configuration, or usage of this component.  But, some months ago I successfully installed an earlier version.

I am now attempting a clean reinstall of a newer version of rabbitmq, and having a very frustrating time.

configuration details:

installing on my local developer desktop, Win 7 (32 bit).
erlang version installed:  5.9.1
rabbitmq installer:  rabbitmq-server-3.0.0.exe

First time running the rabbitmq installer, it pops up a dialog:  "RabbitMQ is already installed.  Click 'OK' to remove the previous version or 'Cancel" to cancel this installation."

I click 'OK'.  It runs through its uninstall sequence.  During this execution, it throws up 2 console windows that immediately disappear, much too quickly to capture or note any output in these console windows (but see further below).

It then pops up a standard windows installer dialog to the effect of:  "Rabbit MQ Server has been uninstalled from your computer."  So, indicating successful uninstall.

I then run the installer again.  It asks me to confirm installation & directory, then runs through the install sequence.  Again, it throws up console windows that immediately disappear.  I can see that output is displayed, but can't make out what it is.  (but see further below).

I then get a standard windows installer dialog to the effect of:  "Rabbit MQ Server 3.0.0 has been installed on your computer."  Once again, indicating success.

RabbitMQ does NOT appear in the list of installed windows services.

Launching a command window and navigating to %RABBITMQ_HOME%/sbin, and then running:

rabbitmq-service install

...returns:

RabbitMQ service is already present - only updating service parameters.

{%ERLANG_HOME%}\erts-5.9.1\bin\erlsrv: Warning, could not set correct service description (comment)Error:  The handle is invalid.

...well, says I, if it's already present, I should be able to start it. Running:

rabbitmq-service start

...returns:

{%ERLANG_HOME%}\erts-5.9.1\bin\erlsrv: Failed to start service RabbitMQ.  Error: The handle is invalid.

Now, funny thing.  After running through this uninstall/install sequence a few times, I believe these are  the messages thrown up in the console windows that disappear immediately during execution of the windows installer.

So, I've got something messed up.

Interestingly, I can run RabbitMQ in foreground mode, by way of rabbitmq-server.bat.  I can execute the tutorial producer & consumer for the trivial hello world example.

I really need to get it running as a service, though.

Can anybody help?

I believe the installer is erroneously indicating success for both uninstall and install in this case, and I have not found any help on the RabbitMQ site, installer instructions, troubleshooting guide, or elsewhere.

I've seen at least one thread that seemed like a similar, but not exactly equivalent case.  Following those steps did not help.

Thanks in advance

Jim Pollard