[rabbitmq-discuss] is RabbitMQ a good choice for a small-scale multiplayer game server?

George Oliver georgeolivergo at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 02:04:40 GMT 2012

hi, I'm evaluating design choices while writing a game server. As I don't
have a lot of experience with distributed systems I'd appreciate advice
from you all.

My project is a mud (real-time multiplayer text game) where you can write
the game logic in different programming languages; for example, the
movement system in Python and the combat system in Ruby. These systems
communicate via message over a socket with the central server which manages
player connections.

I like the idea of using message queues and RabbitMQ looks like a
particularly nice project, but I'm concerned it might be overkill for my
needs. I'm familiar with the notes at
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Message_Queue_Evaluation_Notes but their
use case is much different than my own. I don't anticipate more than 500
player connections and 50 game logic processes (though each logic process
could have, say, 100 queues). On the other hand I'll need to find solutions
for some of what RMQ does anyway.

Do you think I'm setting myself up for trouble by bringing in what seems
like a big framework for this kind of project?

thanks, George