[rabbitmq-discuss] Suggestions for improving your plugin development documents

Nick nick.tune at 7digital.com
Fri Nov 16 16:47:34 GMT 2012

Hello,

Don't take this the wrong way but I'm finding it hard work to even write a
simple plugin. The example page is good in helping me to setup the
metronome plugin which is basically an erlang application running inside
the rabbit mq process.

I couldn't find anything evidence of things that I could do in a rabbitmq
plugin that I couldn't do outside a plugin though unfortunately.

Here is what I would have found useful, although other people might have a
different view of course.

1. Start with a plugin from scratch and show me the absolute minimum
needed. Don't give me an example and make me work out which bit's rabbit
needs and which bits are just Erlang or fluff.

2. Now another example that layers on a bit of the essentials/best
practices e.g. supervisors

3. Now show me what is special about a plugin. How can I interact with
rabbitmq in ways i cannot in my normal application? For instance, how can I
be notified when a message is sent from anywhere to any destination? How
can I hook in here and do something about it, for instance send it
somewhere else?

4. Then introduce me to the umbrella project for developing plugins.