[rabbitmq-discuss] Rabbitmq as erlang application

Tim Watson tim at rabbitmq.com
Thu Nov 15 15:40:12 GMT 2012

Hi

On 15 Nov 2012, at 11:22, Maruthavanan Subbarayan wrote:

> HI,
>
> I have an Erlang application where I would have rabbitmq. Is there a way I can start rabbitmq server as erlang application like "application:start(rabbitmq)" and use some erlang API to send and receive messages?

Take a look at rabbit:boot/0 - I'd also suggest having a good look at the startup scripts (such as ./scripts/rabbitmq-server) to get an idea for what environment variables will affect you. It's also worth looking at http://www.rabbitmq.com/configure.html.

> I am thinking this because if producer, consumer and exchange reside in same machine then why TCP overhead. Will this be negligible overhead? Am I assuming something wrong?

Well, you can use the direct client to communicate with the broker using message passing instead of going over the wire and if the client is started in the same vm then yes, you will avoid any overhead associated with network communications.

Cheers,
Tim