[rabbitmq-discuss] Is my Architecture ok?

nybras brettflitter at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 10:59:29 GMT 2012

Hi,
New to RabbitMQ and messaging in general.

I'm creating a project at the moment and it's now time to start implementing
a messaging architecture, but i'm left a little confused.

Background of the project:
I'm creating an Android 4.0+ application which allows Android based
publishers to send messages to Android based subscribers. The publishers
create a profile which is stored in a MySQL database. Subscribers can view
this database of profiles and should they find a profile they like they can
subscribe to it. That's not all though, the subscriber has many parts from a
profile that can be subscribed to, e.g. 'profile 1' has topics A, B, C & D
within it's profile and the subscriber chooses to subscribe to topics A & D
only. Another Subscriber may wish to subscribe to B & C. And another may
wish to subscribe to all topics and so on. Of course there will be many
publishers with profiles for a subscriber to subscribe to.

Proposed way of going about this:
I was thinking that when subscribers sign up to this service a user account
will be created in MySQL. When a subscriber finds a topic from a profile
they wish to subscribe to, a reference (if you like) will be created in the
user's account. In theory the subscriber could potentially have many
subscriptions/references to various profile topics within their user
account.

Now is it ok for a publisher to send a message of a particular topic, so
that all user accounts in the MySQL database with corresponding references
(to the topic) now receive the message? From reading the RabbitMQ tutorials
my understanding would be that for each subscriber/user account there needs
to be a queue set up (which is never deleted maybe?), the Exchange then has
access to the MySQL database and is able to route messages to these queues
accordingly.

I wondered if someone could tell me if this is a good or bad way of going
about this task? At the moment it's the only way I can see about going about
it. But it does seem really inefficient.

Thanks!