[rabbitmq-discuss] Tutorial 3 problem with binding

vanderkerkoff tonmatt at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 10:05:37 GMT 2012

Hello there

I'm very new to rabbitmq and going through the tutorials to get my feet
wet, so to speak.  Please excuse any and all idiotic statements and
misunderstandings.

The first 2 tutorials went swimmingly, but I'm on the third tutorial and
I've run into a snag

http://www.rabbitmq.com/tutorials/tutorial-three-python.html

client is on mac os x 10.8.2, python 2.7.2, pika-0.9.7
server is rabbitmq-server_2.7.1-1_all.deb on 64 bit Ubtuntu 12.04.1 with Erlang
R14B04 (erts-5.8.5)

Using the python code from the tutorial when I run the receive_logs.py
script, I can see the 'logs' exchange created on the server, but when I
inspect it using the management plugin there are no bindings associated
with it, and therefore no queue.

Using the rabbitmctl list_bindings command confirms that

sudo rabbitmqctl list_bindings
Listing bindings ...
exchange amq.gen-glOoQ1GRPnAJVTkXLeJRrw queue amq.gen-glOoQ1GRPnAJVTkXLeJRrw
[]
...done.

When I now run the emit_log.py script, as there is no binding from the
exchange 'logs' to the queue, and as I can't store any messages in anything
other than a queue, the message simply disappears.

I can see the queue is there, but no bindings from the exchange to the
queue :-(

Any help, greatly appreciated.