[rabbitmq-discuss] Upgrading erlang, rabbitmq in a cluster.

Matt Pietrek mpietrek at skytap.com
Mon Nov 12 18:17:14 GMT 2012

For what it's worth, we have a system here that allows us to upgrade
clusters without downtime. It works for us, but may or may not be workable
for other teams.

Short synopsis is that our cluster is behind a VIP. When we want to upgrade
a cluster, we spin up an alternate cluster and switch the VIP over to the
alternate cluster. Meanwhile, we have tooling that moves messages between
clusters. When the 'master' cluster's update is done, we reverse the
process.

This does require that your clients be tolerant to dropped connections.
There's a lot of details not covered in the above description but it gives
the basic gist of it.