[rabbitmq-discuss] custom plugin debugging

Tim Watson tim at rabbitmq.com
Fri Nov 9 02:19:57 GMT 2012

Hi

On 9 Nov 2012, at 01:51, Prabodh Upreti wrote:

> Tim
>
> Thank you for that response.  As you can see I am new to Erlang.  I have
> briefly gone through the tutorial but will be going back to get a better
> handle.

No worries, we were all new to it at one time or another.

> Basically as a client(Java) I will get a service ticket from SSO server.
> What I was thinking was I will try to connect using the java client passing
> the service ticket(token) to rabbit(no password SSO server does not need
> it).
>  This plugin rabbitmq_cas_authen will intercept the call and make a
> https GET call to the SSO server for validation.  From the SSO server I will
> return back a string "login success".  If I see that string  back I will
> assume successful login.  The GET URL for the SSO will look like
> ?ticket=xxxxxxxx  where xxxx is the token I passed in as the username.  I
> hope I have explained clearly.

Ok, so if you're passing the token in the username of the AMQP login then you really just need to change the 'q' function back to what Simon had. As you've prepended {ticket, Username} to the head of the list of auth properties, the original q function should create ?ticket="ticket" just as you want.

> I will work on the syntax based on your feedback.  Could you please confirm
> that what I am even trying is the right thing to do or I am way off the
> track.  thank you.

Well I can't say whether or not the design makes any sense I'm afraid, as I don't know enough about your application or its requirements, but it does sound like a reasonable approach from what you've said so far. I suspect there is a bit more to implementing a custom auth provider that you need to do besides logging in however, so you might find the complexity grows as you work on it.