[rabbitmq-discuss] ewbie question - need modified fanaout/publish/subscribe behavior

scott taggart taggart at taggarts.org
Thu Nov 8 04:40:47 GMT 2012

the rabbitmq tutorial 3 for python talks about the publish/subscribe
(fanout) model.

I have this working for multiple subscribers but I need something slightly
different.

The current model says that any subscriber sees only the messages AFTER it
subscribes (i.e., creates the subscriber Q) and this is the behavior I
see.  I need to be able to see all messages ever sent to the exchange.  To
be very clear, the current behavior is that if a publisher produces
messages 1, 2, 3 and C1 starts consuming after 2 but before 3, the consumer
only sees 3.  Similarly, if C2 starts after message 3, it never sees 1, 2
or 3.  I need C1 & C2 to see 1, 2, & 3 regardless of where they start in
the publishing sequence.

How can I create the Q after a fanout exchange is created so that that Q
sees all messages sent to an exchange to that point, not just post-Q
creation?  If it takes a different exchange or Q model, please let me know.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

---- please ecuse me if this message shows up twice - I wan't sure if the
email request I sent earlier would end up here -----