[rabbitmq-discuss] Newbie question - need modified fanaout/publish/subscribe behavior

scott taggart taggart at taggarts.org
Thu Nov 8 03:27:14 GMT 2012

the rabbitmq tutorial 3 for python talks about the publish/subscribe
(fanout) model.

I have this working for multiple subscribers but I need something
slightly different.

The current model says that any subscriber sees only the messages AFTER
it subscribes (i.e., creates the subscriber Q) and this is the behavior
I see.  I need to be able to see all messages ever sent to the
exchange.  To be very clear, the current behavior is that if a publisher
produces messages 1, 2, 3 and C1 starts consuming after 2 but before 3,
the consumer only sees 3.  Similarly, if C2 starts after message 3, it
never sees 1, 2 or 3.  I need C1 & C2 to see 1, 2, & 3 regardless of
where they start in the publishing sequence.

How can I create the Q after a fanout exchange is created so that that Q
sees all messages, not just post-Q creation?  If it takes a different
exchange or Q model, please let me know.

Your help is greatly appreciated.