[rabbitmq-discuss] newbie rabbitMQ clustering question

Tim Watson watson.timothy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 01:44:34 GMT 2012

Hi

Sent from my iPhone.

On 1 Nov 2012, at 18:39, Scott Stone <Scott.Stone at servicenow.com> wrote:

> yes, sorry, clustered, with both nodes as disc nodes:
>
> [rabbit01.sea1:/root]# rabbitmqctl cluster_status
> Cluster status of node rabbit at rabbit01 ...
> [{nodes,[{disc,[rabbit at rabbit02,rabbit at rabbit01]}]},
>  {running_nodes,[rabbit at rabbit02,rabbit at rabbit01]}]
> ...done.
>
> [rabbit02.sea1:/root]# rabbitmqctl cluster_status
> Cluster status of node rabbit at rabbit02 ...
> [{nodes,[{disc,[rabbit at rabbit02,rabbit at rabbit01]}]},
>  {running_nodes,[rabbit at rabbit01,rabbit at rabbit02]}]
> ...done.
>
> I think your question of "are the queues declared as HA" might be the key to this, though - from what I understand, the application itself (in this case, mcollective) would have to declare that at the time the queue is created, yes?

In the current version of rabbit, yes that's true. And if you declare an existing queue with different parameters, you'll get an error. For production, you'll needed to set up another queue to drain all the messages into, then delete the old queue and redeclare it is ha, then push the messages back in.

The forthcoming 3.0 release will fix this foible as you'll be able to change queues to ha via policy controls at runtime.

>  I suppose I *can* modify mcollective to do this, but I was hoping I didn't have to.  Any pointers on how you would do that from, say, a ruby application? :)

Like I said above, make a temporary durable queue and drain all the 'to be ha' queue's messages into it (marking them as persistent and using publisher confirms to ensure they're written to disk) then delete and redeclare the other queue as ha before republishing the messages. Not sure hat impact this will have on your application/system logic though.