[rabbitmq-discuss] can't start rabbitmq-server

Tim Watson tim at rabbitmq.com
Thu Nov 1 17:56:44 GMT 2012

You don't, by any chance, have rabbit (or erlang) set up to use ipv6 do
you? We have seen these error messages before (see
http://grokbase.com/t/rabbitmq/rabbitmq-discuss/1297vvbk84/rabbitmq-wont-start-after-upgrading-ubuntu-10-04-to-12-04)
and this is an Erlang issue rather than a rabbit specific one. Whilst I
will do some investigation to see if I can figure out why your epmd
daemon thinks that the rabbit (erlang) node is connecting from a
non-local address - and BTW I suspect some kernel routing to be at fault
here, much as Emile suggested in the referenced thread - and see if we
can figure out what's going on.

It would probably be quite productive if you reposted this issue to the
erlang-questions mailing list as well, where the OTP team may have some
additional insights to share.

Cheers,
Tim