[rabbitmq-discuss] can't start rabbitmq-server

Tim Watson tim at rabbitmq.com
Thu Nov 1 17:09:23 GMT 2012

Hi

On 11/01/2012 05:02 PM, emamdouh wrote:
> @Tim Watson-6 : i'm just guessing but i don't know what shall i do in order
> to address the real problem and get it solved

Ok, well hopefully we'll figure out a way to get you sorted. Here's what
I'd suggest doing for now. First of all, make sure epmd is running. You
can do this by starting and stopping a distributed node (e.g., `erl
-sname foo -s init halt`) or on unix by running `epmd -daemon` on the
command line.

Then I would suggest that you try to telnet onto the epmd port (i.e.,
4369) and see if that works. If it doesn't then your epmd port is
clearly blocked and you should look to your firewall configuration to
see why. If this *does* work, then try starting up a distributed node
(`erl -sname foo` again) and see what happens. Post back when you've had
a go at that and we'll take it from there.

Cheers,
Tim