[rabbitmq-discuss] Cannot start or stop RabbitMQ using rabbitmqctl

Merton Lister mrtnlstr at gmail.com
Wed May 16 14:14:11 BST 2012

Hi Tim,

Thanks for getting back to me. I am new to rabbitmq so not very familiar
with the details you're asking for.

Here is what I see in /opt/local/var/lib/rabbitmq/.erlang.cookie:

QFZXZBPOMTJNACQIMJOT

and sudo rabbitmqctl status gives me:

Status of node rabbit at h002 ...
Error: unable to connect to node rabbit at h002: nodedown

DIAGNOSTICS
===========

nodes in question: [rabbit at h002]

hosts, their running nodes and ports:
- h002: [{rabbit,62428},{rabbitmqctl12565,55147}]

current node details:
- node name: rabbitmqctl12565 at h002
- home dir: /opt/local/var/lib/rabbitmq
- cookie hash: q7VU0JjCd0VG7jOEF9Hf/g==

I installed rabbitmq by following the instructions given here:
http://www.rabbitmq.com/install-macports.html, after which I ran sudo
rabbitmq-server -detached to start the server. Now I want to stop the
server using sudo rabbitmqctl stop, but it simply does not allow me to do
so by the looks of it.

I wonder what causes this kind of behavior? Am I running *multiple*
rabbitmq servers/nodes on my machine now, and somehow I am not allowed to
access some of them? Your help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Best,
Merton