[rabbitmq-discuss] Direct vs Topic exchange - Question

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Wed May 2 14:34:02 BST 2012

On 02/05/12 00:48, Konstantin Kalin wrote:
> Test 1 - I run test for Direct exchange I get ~40k messages per second
> according to RabbitMQ management plugin. CPU load is 80% on RabbitMQ
> and Memory is always below the watermark. Seems to be good. RabbitMQ
> management plugin shows "No flow" control on publishers connections.
>
> Test 2 - I run same test for Topic exchange I get constantly ~4k
> messages per second. CPU is around ~15% and Memory is ~200k out of
> 1.5Gb on RabbitMQ node. RabbitMQ management plugin shows constant
> "Flow" control on publishers connections.

This is very odd, and not what I would expect at all.

Topic exchanges are slower than direct exchanges - the routing logic is
after all more complicated - but it certainly shouldn't be a factor of 10.

Also, if you are pushing messages as fast as you can at Rabbit 2.8.0+,
it should go into flow control regardless of where the actual bottleneck is.

Can you post the code you were running?

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen