[rabbitmq-discuss] Pika channels sensitive to prior operation state?

Matt Pietrek mpietrek at skytap.com
Wed Mar 28 00:54:44 BST 2012

I have a Pika 0.9.5. app communicating with a 2.81 rabbitmq-server instance.

I'm noticing some odd behavior, and am not sure if it's a problem on my end,
on rabbitmq's end, or in Pika.

At it's simplest, I'm seeing a call to channel.tx_select() hang. Breaking in
with the debugger, the stack looks like this:

_handle_read [base_connection.py:151]
process_data_events [blocking_connection.py:94]
send_method [blocking_connection.py:244]
rpc [blocking_connection.py:216]
tx_select [spec.py:2615]

Stepping for a bit, I see that the code never gets out of the loop in the
send_method() function.

In ordinary circumstances, my code that calls tx_select() works fine.
However, in the case where it hangs, an immediately prior call to
channel.basic_get() has thrown an exception:

'pika.exceptions.AMQPChannelError'>:(404, "NOT_FOUND - no queue 'foobar' in
vhost '/'"

I'm baffled. Known issue? Something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Matt