[rabbitmq-discuss] Manual service stop or start via rabbitmq-service.bat on Windows has an %APPDATA% path bug.

Nick Josevski nickjosevski at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 03:05:41 BST 2012

I tried to enable the management web feature via rabbitmq-plugins, but
somewhere during the process of enabling, stopping, installing,
starting the service back up again. A rogue '%APPDATA%' folder was
created in the sbin folder. In my case C:\Program Files (x86)\RabbitMQ
Server\rabbitmq_server-2.8.1\sbin

I've experienced this issue on versions 2.7.1 and 2.8.1.

The worst part of this is once that happened, I kept getting nodedown
errors when trying to do anything even via the reset and force_reset
commands.

My solution was to uninstall RabbitMQ, delete all the folders (in
AppData and in Program Files), then go further to uninstall and re-
install Erlang, all with reboots scattered throughout to ensure
nothing was left behind.

To finally enable the rabbitmq_management plugin I had to just enable
it via the rabbitmq-plugins, **not** run stop or install or start via
rabbitmq-service.bat, but instead go into Services and just re-start
the RabbitMQ service via right click > start.