[rabbitmq-discuss] Unclean shutdown followed by upgrade causes cluster to no longer come up.

Adam Pollock a.pollock at encoded.co.uk
Mon Mar 26 14:09:52 BST 2012

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your speedy response.

> Do you actually mean rabbitmq.conf? The file is usually called rabbitmq.config.

Yes, sorry, that was just a typo. It is /etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq.config.

> Assuming the config file is really /etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq.config, the only way I can think of for
> this to happen is if the cluster config file itself is corrupt / empty.

They're definitely not empty, and they don't appear to be corrupt (i.e. they open in vi fine and can
be read, and deleting them and writing the configuration into a new file doesn't fix the error).
They have been working previously before the upgrade.

> What does /var/lib/rabbitmq/mnesia/cluster_nodes.config (I think that's the path) contain on the
> RAM nodes? It should contain the same list of nodes as are in rabbitmq.config.

Node1 contains:

[root at mq1 ~]# cat /var/lib/rabbitmq/mnesia/node1/cluster_nodes.config
[node1 at mq1,node2 at mq2,node3 at mq3].

However, both node2 and node3 do not have this file present anywhere:

[root at mq3 /var/lib/rabbitmq/mnesia/node3]# ls
msg_store_persistent  msg_store_transient  rabbit_serial  schema_version
[root at mq3 /var/lib/rabbitmq/mnesia/node3]# updatedb
[root at mq3 /var/lib/rabbitmq/mnesia/node3]# locate cluster_nodes.config
[root at mq3 /var/lib/rabbitmq/mnesia/node3]#

There are also node2-upgrade-backup and node3-upgrade-backup directories in
/var/lib/rabbitmq/mnesia, but these also do not contain and cluster_nodes.config files.

Kind regards,

Adam Pollock.
Lead Software Engineer.

Encoded, Ltd.