[rabbitmq-discuss] Shovel vs. RabbitMQ

James Carr james.r.carr at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 14:26:53 GMT 2012

While working on a new messaging topology for a client I've found
myself wondering if a hybrid of shovel / federation might be a valid
approach rather than just using federation. While I have several
clusters that will be located in different geographical locations
federated amongst themselves we have dynamically created "pods" that
are really kind of mini-datacenters for each application. Basically
each app has all the components it needs to function independently and
if messaging is required to update data or do things across pods the
pod will have it's own rabbitmq broker.

The pods get spinned up and destroyed dynamically. I keep wondering if
perhaps the pods should use shovel to shovel to the cluster on it's
segment or if I should just setup my puppet modules to declared a
federated exchange on the cluster for a freshly created pod? Both
approaches seem valid (and I'll experiment with both anyway) but I'm
just curious if anyone on the list has experience or recommendations
with this kind of setup.

Thanks,
James