[rabbitmq-discuss] Experimenting with release candidates: RabbitMQ 2.7.9

Jerry Kuch jerryk at vmware.com
Fri Mar 16 19:02:26 GMT 2012

James FWIW an thing to be mindful of in Erlang code or terms is that
double quotes, e.g. "foo", get used for strings, or lists of characters,
while single quotes are used for Erlang atoms, e.g. 'foo'.

You could write 'foo' as just foo with no adornment... you typically use
the single quotes if your atom name contains characters that are allowed
in atom names, but that would otherwise trip up the Erlang parser.

For e.g. foo-bar will look like an arithmetic operation trying to
nonsensically subtract atom bar from atom foo, while if you wrap it as
'foo-bar' you disabuse the parser of its base instincts.

These are really easy to not spot when one's either sleepy, or feeding data
to something whose expectations aren't yet familiar...

Best regards,
Jerry