[rabbitmq-discuss] Can RabbitMQ handle big messages?

Jerry Kuch jerryk at vmware.com
Tue Mar 13 06:03:05 GMT 2012

Hi, Zabrane:

Ultimately you'll be limited by disk space.  If a queue gets large with messages
that are either unconsumed, or delivered but not ACKed, and the broker determines
that it's under memory pressure, it will page messages to files on disk, blocking
producers in the meantime using TCP back pressure.  The mechanism is discussed here:

http://www.rabbitmq.com/memory.html

In practice you don't want to routinely be flirting with the memory watermark, and
as a rule, its value is probably best left at the default 0.40 level.  In production
you should make sure your monitoring/alerting system is watching broker memory usage,
and probably the lengths and memory consumption of queues of importance to your app.
If queues are getting uncharacteristically backed up, it's often because something
has changed or gone wrong (unexpected producer load, crashed or buggy consumers,
etc.).

Best regards,
Jerry