[rabbitmq-discuss] Management Plugin

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Thu Mar 8 11:11:15 GMT 2012

On 08/03/12 02:17, Jay Custin wrote:
> I figure I must have missed */something/*, but I sure can't figure out
> what.  I have tried the RabbitMQ Management Plugin from both Firefox and
> IE on my Windows 7 x64 system and the adding a user does not behave as I
> expect it would/should.
>
> First I took my IE, turned off every sort of "safety feature" I could
> find, but when I click on any of the links below the "Tags" field, it
> changes to a blank screen except for the text *[object Object]* at the
> top.  If I watch VERY carefully when I click I see that it populates the
> field with the string *administrator*, but then the blank screen except
> for the text *[object Object]* appears.
>
> If I do the same thing with Firefox (though not necessarily as "wide
> open"), it does not switch to a blank screen, but near as I can tell,
> nothing happens at all.  I double-checked to make sure that I permitted
> pop-ups, and then it behaves like I described for IE.

Yeah, this is a bug on that page on recent IE/FF. It's fixed in the
upcoming release. You can work around it by typing in the tags.

> Next it seems somewhat confusing (at least to me) that the label below
> the Tags field shows [Admin]..., but the */actual/* valid tag values
> list the string *administrator. *Note:  full word... and all lower case.

Yeah, the shortening was done to control the amount of space the links
take up.

> Next it seems somewhat strange that no mechanism exists to CHANGE a
> user's tags after the user gets created.  You can clear permissions,
> change permissions, or delete the user, but nothing else.  To change the
> tags it looks like you have to delete the user and create it again.

No, you can, although it's not very clear. You need to enter the new
details with the same username into the "add / update a user" form. Some
better UI for this is on the TODO list.

> Finally I find it somewhat surprising that the form provides no way to
> reset/remove a user password.  It appears that you can only accomplish
> this by deleting the user and then creating a new user.

Again, new details, same username.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen