[rabbitmq-discuss] Per-Message TTL on NACK'd messages

Dave Seltzer dseltzer at tveyes.com
Thu Jun 28 20:37:40 BST 2012

I have a customer who I’m delivering content to via a Message Queue.

The queue has a per-message TTL of one hour. This means that at any given
time they should have around 3000 messages.

A few minutes ago I noticed that they had 90,000 un-acked messages in their
queue. I presume that this is because that a message which has been
delivered and is waiting acknowledgement cannot be “expired”. That sort of
makes sense.

I notified the customer, they reset something and now they have 90,000
messages ready for delivery.

How should messages behave when they have been NAK’d. Does the clock get
reset every time a message is NAK’d?

This document http://www.rabbitmq.com/extensions.html#queue-ttl says that
requeued messages preserve their original expiry time, but does that apply
to NAK’d messages?

If there’s no way for me to prevent messages from building up using a TTL,
is there a way for me to prevent client’s from ack/nak on a particular
queue?

Thanks!

-Dave