[rabbitmq-discuss] Newbie Q: Bugs in 2.8.2-1?

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Tue Jun 19 15:26:44 BST 2012

On 19/06/12 15:16, Eric Bravick wrote:
> For people starting with 2.8.2+, you might consider re-visiting the hard
> failure and making this a warning state instead...  seems to me there's
> a valid argument to throw a warning here rather than blocking (however,
> I could be entirely incorrect about that.)

The trouble is that AMQP doesn't give us the ability to warn-on-publish
(and even if it did it's easy to imagine that the typical default client
callback would be a no-op). So it's not clear where a warning would go -
we already write to logs and show a big red thing in mgmt, but from the
number of questions we're getting asked it's clear people are not seeing
these.

However, there's no denying that this has hurt a lot more people than we
expected, and we really don't like that.

So for the next release we're intending to go with a lower disk space
limit - probably a hard 1GB. This is not ideal - ideally we would always
have the ability to page the whole of memory out to disk - but it's at
least somewhat likely to stop you before you *actually* run out of disk
space and crash, while hopefully not causing the wave of false-positives
that have inconvenienced people running 2.8.2.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, VMware