[rabbitmq-discuss] Beginner Issue with Rabbit MQ

Philipp Wollermann wollermann_philipp at cyberagent.co.jp
Thu Jun 14 10:32:24 BST 2012

Hi,

I have a similar problem as Goel. I installed RabbitMQ using the official RPM package from rabbitmq.com on CentOS 6.2. Connecting to the broker works fine, sending messages gives no error, but it just never arrives at the receiver. If I install the older RabbitMQ package from EPEL (2.6.1), everything works just fine.

Here's how to reproduce it:
1) Get a fresh CentOS 6.2 box.
2) yum install http://www.rabbitmq.com/releases/rabbitmq-server/v2.8.2/rabbitmq-server-2.8.2-1.noarch.rpm
3) service rabbitmq-server start
4) Create send.py and receive.py according to the "Hello World" tutorial at http://www.rabbitmq.com/tutorials/tutorial-one-python.html
5) Run receive.py
6) Run send.py

No message arrives at receive.py, but send.py gives no error. The log just shows "accepting AMQP connection <0.450.0> (127.0.0.1:39162 -> 127.0.0.1:5672)" messages). Using "rabbitmqctl", I can see several status details of the server and I compared them to the "should look like this" output on the Troubleshooting page. I could not see any error.

7) service rabbitmq-server stop
8) yum erase rabbitmq-server
9) rm -rf /var/lib/rabbitmq
10) yum clean all
11) yum install rabbitmq-server (this time from EPEL)
12) Run receive.py
13) Run send.py

Now it works.

Any idea what may cause this?