[rabbitmq-discuss] Help with the SSL tutorial on Windows Server 2008

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Wed Jun 13 09:54:59 BST 2012

Hi Wolfgang,

On 12/06/12 17:15, Wiessler, Wolfgang wrote:
> Now I would like to create my own Certificate Authority and create
> certificates. The example in the tutorial seems to be using UNIX and
> does not show where to expect certain executables (e.g. openssl). I
> cannot find the file when I am searching for it on my server. Also
> certain UNIX commands are not available in Windows and I am not sure if
> they are required under windows or what the equivalent is (chmod, touch).

If you wish to follow the steps verbatim on Windows then install Cygwin.
The examples assume that you have the OpenSSL binaries and utilities on
your PATH. You can do the same on WINDOWS.

> Could somebody please shed some light on what is missing? Do I need to
> install anything else? The tutorial is mentioning certain extra steps
> for Erlang R13B, but I am using R15B so I can ignore these steps?

You don't have to use OpenSSL. If you have your own PKI then feel free
to use that. You will need to refer to the documentation of your PKI
provider and ensure that certificates and keys are in the correct format.

If you choose to use OpenSSL for creating and signing certificates then
you will need to install it first. See
http://www.openssl.org/related/binaries.html

On average later versions of Erlang have fewer SSL bugs than earlier
versions. Using R15B (or later) should be fine.

-Emile