[rabbitmq-discuss] Rabbitmq 2.8.2 crash using node-amqp client

Andrei Vereha andreivereha at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 12:20:01 BST 2012

On Fri, 01 Jun 2012 11:45:39 +0100
Tim Watson <tim at rabbitmq.com> wrote:

> On 01/06/12 11:44, Andrei Vereha wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Rabbitmq is crashing with one of these messages:
> > Slogan: binary_alloc: Cannot allocate 245000040 bytes of memory (of
> > type "binary").
> > in /var/lib/rabbitmq/erl_crash.dump
> > or killed by OOM killer:
> > Out of memory: Kill process 29165 (beam) score 889 or sacrifice
> > child
> >
> > I attached the script I used to stress it with. If it doesn't crash,
> > try to start 2 instances of this script. The script is wrote in
> > node.js and uses the node-amqp library.
> Well it *is* possible to crash the vm by exhausting all available
> memory and/or triggering the OOM Killer on Linux. Take a read of
> http://www.rabbitmq.com/memory.html for more details on how to manage
> this.

I read the page above, and it seems that the vm_memory_high_watermark
has no effect in this case.
Configuration:

[{rabbit, [{vm_memory_high_watermark, 0.2}]}].

The log file says:

=INFO REPORT==== 1-Jun-2012::14:01:45 ===
vm_memory_high_watermark set. Memory used:105251880 allowed:103223296

=INFO REPORT==== 1-Jun-2012::14:01:45 ===
    alarm_handler:
{set,{{resource_limit,memory,'rabbit at rabbitmq-03'},[]}}

When I look into the management interface the connections are in
"running" state, though the memory alarm is triggered(the memory
section is red in the overview interface). And the memory usage is just
growing.

When I try to send a big message from python using Pika, I cannot
reproduce the crash. That's why I attached the example client in
node.js.

Thank you,
 Andrei