[rabbitmq-discuss] Exchange with throttling

Tim Watson tim at rabbitmq.com
Mon Jul 30 10:26:45 BST 2012

Just to add to Emile's comments, I there are a couple of things to
consider here.

Firstly, it's important to point out that letting the Channel process
mailbox fill up could lead to unexpected and unpredictable performance
characteristics, and doesn't appear to offer anything that
per-connection flow control isn't already doing. Also, creating an
mnesia transaction for each routing operation is likely to produce an
altogether *different* kind of throttling of Rabbit's performance across
a cluster, and probably (in fact, almost certainly) not the one you
intended.

I would strongly recommend reconsidering this approach. If you're
interested in extending the flow control mechanism to support
alternative measures, then perhaps we should have a collective
conversation about that instead, as Emile is quite right in suggesting
that approach makes more sense.

Cheers,
Tim