[rabbitmq-discuss] Publisher and Consumer design doubts

Steve Powell steve at rabbitmq.com
Thu Jul 26 17:51:55 BST 2012

Dear ___,

Your example code appears to register the consumer callback repeatedly
in a loop, draining events after doing this. This cannot be good use of
the interface (but I could be wrong).

You may like to look at http://pypi.python.org/pypi/librabbitmq/ for
information about how to use the library correctly. There is an example
on the first page that demonstrates the consumer idiom.

The five minutes pause is likely enough time either for the repeated
stuff to clog up the client somehow, or for some network mechanism to
close the connection since nothing is happening on it. RabbitMQ will not
do this, but I am told there are network firewalls and stuff that will
unceremoniously chop a connection if it is silent for a while. It is not
clear that the client would ever notice this.

If these steps do not help I recommend looking in the RabbitMQ logs to
see why the connection is lost. Come to think of it, I would recommend
looking there anyway. You do not say if your tests are run locally or if
the server is on a different machine from the publisher/consumers?

Good luck,
____ ____ (a happy bunny)
----------yet more definitions from the SPD----------
corrugate (n.) T.V. soap scandal.
olympic (n.) A camp road-digger.
jamboree (n.) A conserve made from French cheese.