[rabbitmq-discuss] One node in a cluster never fully starts up

Matt Pietrek mpietrek at skytap.com
Thu Jul 26 16:45:50 BST 2012

Francesco,

Thanks for the quick reply. A couple of replies/questions:

If I'm understanding what you're saying, we should be starting up our
brokers sequentially. However, in my experience this hasn't worked. For
instance, we've seen mq1 stall in its startup, waiting for mq3 to start.
But mq3 can't start (per the sequential logic) till mq1 finishes starting
up. Per advice I received from you previously (below) we've moved to async
startup of the brokers:

http://lists.rabbitmq.com/pipermail/rabbitmq-discuss/2012-June/020689.html

>* Question 2*>* ---------------*>* Related to the above scenario, is there any danger (after an unplanned*>* shutdown), in simply letting all the nodes start in parallel and*>* letting Mnesia's waiting sort out the order? It seems to work OK in my*>* limited testing so far, but I don't know if we're risking data loss.*
It should be fine, but in general it's better to do cluster operations
sequentially and at one site. In this specific case it should be OK.

As it stands now, we're in a catch 22 - If we do sequential startup, we run
the risk of deadlocking if we start the nodes in the wrong order. But if we
do async startup, we run into the problem described in this thread.

--------
> Uhm.  It looks like mnesia is detecting a deadlock, and I'm not sure why.
 What
> happens if you don't kill it?  Does it terminate by itself, eventually?

I've let it wait for a good long time (30 minutes +) before killing it.

Thanks much for your help,

Matt