[rabbitmq-discuss] Restarting/re-establising failed federation connections

Laing, Michael P. Michael.Laing at nytimes.com
Thu Jul 19 16:04:18 BST 2012

I am getting similar failures to reconnect.

My Virginia cluster is upstream from my California cluster. And there is a
link the other way, making the federation bi-directional.

After some days of idleness (still in testing mode) both links went down.

Restarting the California rabbit reestablished the link to Virginia and I
could send federated messages from Virginia to California.

The California to Virginia link was still down, however. I ran an AMQP
client on the Virginia machine and could connect to California.

This actually happened previously. In response I upgraded all my rabbits
to 2.8.4 and Erlang R14B04.

Now that it has happened again I will restart everything and capture clean
logs etc.

In fact, the situation appears to be consistent as Virginia is the center
of a star federation network that includes California, Brazil, Dublin, and
Tokyo, all configured identically.

All links have failed in exactly the same manner.

Michael