[rabbitmq-discuss] Sorry if this is a newbie question.

Jason Wainwright JasonWainwright at gamestop.com
Mon Jul 16 21:24:24 BST 2012

I have researching Federations and Shovels for a week or so now, but neither seem to fit or work the way I expect them to.  Which is probably a misunderstanding on my part of how they were intended to be used.
I want to create a distributed pub\sub messaging system that talks broker to broker in a one to many fashion. In essence, I would like Broker A to publish messages on Queue 1, which, in turn, pushes messages to Broker B and C on Queue 1.  A pub\sub on the broker level.
After reading these Federation notes and reviews:
http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-federation/file/rabbitmq_v2_5_0_preview/README
http://www.rabbitmq.com/blog/2011/06/22/federation-plugin-preview-release/
http://www.rabbitmq.com/federation.html
, I have come to the, possibly misguided, conclusion that the federation is designed in the reverse. (i.e. Brokers B and C publish to Queue 1 which in turn pushes messages to Broker A on Queue 1) More of a many to one design.
During my research I thought Shovel might have been the answer, but I found the it worked well creating a one to one connection, not one to many.
Is this correct, or am I missing something?

I have been successful in installing and configuring both of these plugins in a basic configuration, it was the behavior that was unexpected. I have not ruled out misconfiguration.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jason