[rabbitmq-discuss] crash while starting alarm handler

Tim Daly, Jr tim at tenkan.org
Fri Jul 13 07:58:17 BST 2012

Hi!  I'm new to rabbitmq, and I find myself faced with a startup failure
that I'm not sure how to debug.  I'm on RHEL 6.3, using rabbitmq 2.6.1.
I've included the logs below... I didn't see the same crash in the mailing
list archives.  I'd be grateful for any clues, or suggestions for debugging
it.

Here's my startup log:

Activating RabbitMQ plugins ...
0 plugins activated:

+---+   +---+
|   |   |   |
|   |   |   |
|   |   |   |
|   +---+   +-------+
|                   |
| RabbitMQ  +---+   |
|           |   |   |
|   v2.6.1  +---+   |
|                   |
+-------------------+
AMQP 0-9-1 / 0-9 / 0-8
Copyright (C) 2007-2011 VMware, Inc.
Licensed under the MPL.  See http://www.rabbitmq.com/

node           : rabbit at nodename
app descriptor :
/usr/lib/rabbitmq/lib/rabbitmq_server-2.6.1/sbin/../ebin/rabbit.app
home dir       : /var/lib/rabbitmq
config file(s) : (none)
cookie hash    : sE2FCwoGmnSTLgBS8Oq2iw==
log            : /var/log/rabbitmq/rabbit at nodename.log
sasl log       : /var/log/rabbitmq/rabbit at nodename-sasl.log
database dir   : /var/lib/rabbitmq/mnesia/rabbit at nodename
erlang version : 5.8.5

-- rabbit boot start
starting file handle cache server
...done
starting worker pool
...done
starting database
...done
starting codec correctness check
...done
-- external infrastructure ready
starting statistics event manager
...done
starting logging server
...done
starting plugin registry
...done
starting auth mechanism amqplain
...done
starting auth mechanism cr-demo
...done
starting auth mechanism plain
...done
starting exchange type direct
...done
starting exchange type fanout
...done
starting exchange type headers
...done
starting exchange type topic
...done
-- kernel ready
starting node monitor
...done
starting cluster delegate
...done
starting guid generator
...done
starting alarm handler
...BOOT ERROR: FAILED
Reason: {badmatch,
            {error,
                {shutdown,
                    {child,undefined,vm_memory_monitor_sup,
                        {rabbit_restartable_sup,start_link,
                            [vm_memory_monitor_sup,
                             {vm_memory_monitor,start_link,[0.4]}]},
                        transient,infinity,supervisor,
                        [rabbit_restartable_sup]}}}}
Stacktrace: [{rabbit_sup,start_restartable_child,2},
             {rabbit_alarm,start,0},
             {rabbit,'-run_boot_step/1-lc$^1/1-1-',1},
             {rabbit,run_boot_step,1},
             {rabbit,'-start/2-lc$^0/1-0-',1},
             {rabbit,start,2},
             {application_master,start_it_old,4}]
{"Kernel pid
terminated",application_controller,"{application_start_failure,rabbit,{bad_return,{{rabbit,start,[normal,[]]},{'EXIT',{rabbit,failure_during_boot}}}}}"}

And here is my sasl log:

=CRASH REPORT==== 13-Jul-2012::00:11:17 ===
  crasher:
    initial call: vm_memory_monitor:init/1
    pid: <0.165.0>
    registered_name: []
    exception exit: {{badmatch,{error,enoent}},
                     [{vm_memory_monitor,read_proc_file,1},
                      {vm_memory_monitor,get_total_memory,1},
                      {vm_memory_monitor,init,1},
                      {gen_server,init_it,6},
                      {proc_lib,init_p_do_apply,3}]}
      in function  gen_server:init_it/6
    ancestors: [vm_memory_monitor_sup,rabbit_sup,<0.104.0>]
    messages: []
    links: [<0.164.0>]
    dictionary: []
    trap_exit: false
    status: running
    heap_size: 377
    stack_size: 24
    reductions: 265
  neighbours:

=SUPERVISOR REPORT==== 13-Jul-2012::00:11:17 ===
     Supervisor: {local,vm_memory_monitor_sup}
     Context:    start_error
     Reason:     {{badmatch,{error,enoent}},
                  [{vm_memory_monitor,read_proc_file,1},
                   {vm_memory_monitor,get_total_memory,1},
                   {vm_memory_monitor,init,1},
                   {gen_server,init_it,6},
                   {proc_lib,init_p_do_apply,3}]}
     Offender:   [{pid,undefined},
                  {name,vm_memory_monitor},
                  {mfargs,{vm_memory_monitor,start_link,[0.4]}},
                  {restart_type,transient},
                  {shutdown,4294967295},
                  {child_type,worker}]

=CRASH REPORT==== 13-Jul-2012::00:11:18 ===
  crasher:
    initial call: application_master:init/4
    pid: <0.101.0>
    registered_name: []
    exception exit: {bad_return,{{rabbit,start,[normal,[]]},
                                 {'EXIT',{rabbit,failure_during_boot}}}}
      in function  application_master:init/4
    ancestors: [<0.100.0>]
    messages: [{'EXIT',<0.104.0>,normal}]