[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ publish

Simone Busoli simone.busoli at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 21:22:30 GMT 2012

Hi, basic publish is an asynchronous operation, at least in the .NET
client, therefore you won't spot issues until you do something else with
the channel (called model in the .NET client), like another publish.
In general you should:

   - subscribe to shutdown events on connection and model to spot that
   something went wrong and for example attempt a reconnection
   - to ensure the broker takes responsibility for the messages either put
   the channel in confirm mode or enable transactions

The second point with publisher confirms has one gotcha, that is, if
connection shuts down while you're waiting for acks from the broker you
should republish all unconfirmed messages. This is the only way to ensure
that messages will eventually reach their destinations, but it obviously
introduces the chance of messages being duplicated.