[rabbitmq-discuss] Recovering Rabbit without restarting

Ben Hood 0x6e6562 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 17:34:07 GMT 2012

Hi,

I'm currently looking into a production scenario with
2.7.0/RHEL5/R13B3 where Rabbit has ground to halt by consuming as good
as all of the CPU, but is still responding to external requests,
albeit very slowly. Peers appear to still be connected to the broker.
Running rabbitmqctl works, but any kind of report (status,
list_queues, report etc) is taking too long to return to get any
diagnostics whatsoever.

So I was wondering if there is any way to somehow throttle heavyweight
activities so that we can run some of the normal diagnostics, short of
restarting the whole instance.

Cheers,

Ben