[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitMQ & Erlang on AIX Server

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Wed Jan 11 11:44:27 GMT 2012

Hi Gerard,

On 11/01/12 11:18, Savage, Gerard wrote:
> I would like to run rabbitMQ, and so Erlang R15, on AIX Server. Are
> there any guide or installation help instructions out there that I can
> use - or any known problems with this configuration?

You might want to ask this question on the erlang-questions mailing list
as well. I see an AIX question was discussed in Sept 2011:
http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2011-September/060915.html

I'm not aware of any AIX Erlang packages for a sufficiently recent
version of Erlang (R12B3 at the very least, assuming no plugins). This
means you will need to compile Erlang yourself. I've had limited success
doing so on AIX 5.3 but without SMP support, and there seems to be some
sort of deadlock in the terminal IO preventing all the compilers from
working. The main .erl compiler does work though.

If you can get Erlang running then RabbitMQ will run fine. Rabbit
contains the necessary code to detect memory on AIX.

Also see this thread from 2011:
http://lists.rabbitmq.com/pipermail/rabbitmq-discuss/2011-February/011376.html

-Emile