[rabbitmq-discuss] Unable to build Debian package since 2.7.0

Steve Powell steve at rabbitmq.com
Tue Jan 3 10:17:58 GMT 2012

Hi Jared,

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with pbuilder, but rather than just ignore your
note I looked at the output.

There seem to be several puzzling things here:

one is that dpkg complains about several packages not being installed:
> Unpacking pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy (from .../pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy.deb) ...
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy:
>  pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy depends on cdbs; however:
>   Package cdbs is not installed.
>  pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy depends on debhelper (>= 5); however:
>   Package debhelper is not installed.
>  pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy depends on erlang-dev; however:
>   Package erlang-dev is not installed.
>  pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy depends on python-simplejson; however:
>   Package python-simplejson is not installed.
>  pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy depends on xmlto; however:
>   Package xmlto is not installed.
>  pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy depends on xsltproc; however:
>   Package xsltproc is not installed.
> dpkg: error processing pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy (--install):
>  dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
though this looks as though to be corrected subsequently...I cannot interpret
this...

second, there is an nmap missing complaint at three places (not sure why
you would be calling nmap here, though I see we have a ref to it in
rabbitmq_auth_backend_ldap's package.mk file)
e.g.:
> make[2]: Entering directory `/tmp/buildd/rabbitmq-server-2.7.1/plugins-src'
> make -f all-packages.mk clean-all-packages
> /bin/sh: nmap: not found

third, make ... clean in rabbit appears to fail strangely:
> make -C ./rabbitmq-server clean
> make: Entering an unknown directory
> make: *** ./rabbitmq-server: No such file or directory.  Stop.
> make: Leaving an unknown directory
> make[3]: *** [rabbitmq-server+clean] Error 2
> make[3]: Target `clean-all-packages' not remade because of errors.
which looks suspicious.  It could imply a make problem... (note that this
follows the rm -rf commands for mochiweb-wrapper and eldap-wrapper stuff)

fourth, it appears some git repository structures don't exist, or are corrupt:
> echo UPSTREAM_SHORT_HASH:=`git --git-dir=./mochiweb-wrapper/mochiweb-git/.git log -n 1 HEAD | grep commit | cut -b 8-14` >mochiweb-wrapper/build/hash.mk
> fatal: Not a git repository: './mochiweb-wrapper/mochiweb-git/.git'
and
> echo UPSTREAM_SHORT_HASH:=`git --git-dir=erlang-rfc4627-wrapper/erlang-rfc4627-git/.git log -n 1 HEAD | grep commit | cut -b 8-14` >erlang-rfc4627-wrapper/build/hash.mk
> fatal: Not a git repository: 'erlang-rfc4627-wrapper/erlang-rfc4627-git/.git'
and
> echo UPSTREAM_SHORT_HASH:=`git --git-dir=eldap-wrapper/eldap-git/.git log -n 1 HEAD | grep commit | cut -b 8-14` >eldap-wrapper/build/hash.mk
> fatal: Not a git repository: 'eldap-wrapper/eldap-git/.git'
again, I'm not sure why this might be but not getting the erlang patch would
explain the compiler error:
> Compiler function asn1ct:compile_asn/3 failed:
> {undef,[{asn1ct,compile_asn,

and finally:
> echo UPSTREAM_SHORT_HASH:=`hg id -R ./webmachine-wrapper/webmachine-hg -i | cut -c -7` >webmachine-wrapper/build/hash.mk
> /bin/sh: hg: not found

implies that you don't have mercurial installed, which might be a problem.

I'm sure you could have found these things by yourself, but I hope one or
more of these trigger some ideas for you to try.

Steve Powell  (a puzzled bunny)
----------some more definitions from the SPD----------
avoirdupois (phr.) 'Would you like peas with that?'
distribute (v.) To denigrate an award ceremony.
definite (phr.) 'It's hard of hearing, I think.'
modest (n.) The most mod.