[rabbitmq-discuss] [help] [beginner] server stops sending messages; publish (in transaction) hangs on commit

Alistair Bayley alistair at abayley.org
Thu Feb 23 21:19:52 GMT 2012

On 24 February 2012 09:00, Alistair Bayley <alistair at abayley.org> wrote:

> I don't see much in the docs about memory requirements. I think I'll
> start by setting the vm_memory_high_watermark to 0, and seeing where
> the memory use plateaus (assuming it does).

OK. I've just set the vm_memory_high_watermark to 0 and now the broker
won't accept any messages. In the log:

=INFO REPORT==== 24-Feb-2012::09:18:29 ===
Limiting to approx 924 file handles (829 sockets)

=INFO REPORT==== 24-Feb-2012::09:18:30 ===
Memory limit set to 0MB of 244MB total.

=INFO REPORT==== 24-Feb-2012::09:18:30 ===
vm_memory_high_watermark set. Memory used:12963672 allowed:0

=INFO REPORT==== 24-Feb-2012::09:18:30 ===
    alarm_handler: {set,
                       {{vm_memory_high_watermark,
                            'rabbit at kollector-staging-rabbitmq1'},
                        []}}

In the docs (http://www.rabbitmq.com/memory.html) it says: "A value of
0 disables the memory monitor and throttling of producers."

I took this to mean that there is no throttling i.e. messages would
always be accepted. Have I misunderstood?

Alistair