[rabbitmq-discuss] Understanding Federation

MELIQUE Denis (MORPHO) denis.melique at morpho.com
Thu Feb 23 10:56:56 GMT 2012

I'm doing some testing with federation plug-in to try to understand it.

I have set a little test bed with 2 brokers. One (2.7.1) running on Windows XP, the other (2.6.1) running on RedHat 6.
I have set some producer and consumers, which seem to work fine.

But I'd like to get some explanation about Exchanges and Queues that I see in the RabbitMQ Management.

I Have one federated exchange declared on both brokers.

Here is my rabbit.config file for the windows side, on linux it's the same except connection and host:
[
{rabbitmq_federation,
    [ {exchanges, [[{exchange,     "federation.forward"},
                    {virtual_host, "/"},
                    {type,         "topic"},
                    {durable,      true},
                    {auto_delete,  false},
                    {internal,     false},
                    {upstream_set, "common-upstream"}]
                  ]},
      {upstream_sets, [{"common-upstream", [[{connection, "linux-host"},
                                          {max_hops,   1}]
                                        ]}
                      ]},
      {connections, [{"linux-host", [{host,            "linux-host"},
                                          {protocol,        "amqp"},
                                          {port,            5672},
                                          {virtual_host,    "/"},
                                          {username,        "guest"},
                                          {password,        "guest"},
                                          {mechanism,       default},
                                          {prefetch_count,  1000},
                                          {reconnect_delay, 5},
                                          {heartbeat,       1},
                                          {queue_expires,   30000},
                                          {message_ttl,     10000}
                                         ]}
                    ]},
      {local_username, "guest"},
      {local_nodename, "win-host"}
    ]
}
].

When I start the brokers, I can see additional exchanges and Queues on  both part.
But they are not the symmetric.
On the Windows side :
                Additional Exchanges
                               federation.forward, x-federation (OK for this one that's what I excpected)
federation: federation.forward -> linux-host B , fanaout, D, AD, I

And additional Queue:
federation: federation.forward -> linux-host, TTL,D

On the Linux Side:
                Additional Exchanges
federation.forward, x-federation (OK for this one that's what I excpected)
federation: federation.forward -> win-host B, fanout, D, AD,I
And additional Queue:
federation: federation.forward -> win-host, TTL,D

What are these Exchange and Queues used for ?
Are they reserved for federation internal use ?
When do messages go into these queues ?
Do they have to be durable or is there a way to configure them as transient ?

I would be very interested by  a brief description of how federation works internally.

Thank you
Cheers
Denis

#
" Ce courriel et les documents qui lui sont joints peuvent contenir des informations confidentielles ou ayant un caractère privé. S'ils ne vous sont pas destinés, nous vous signalons qu'il est strictement interdit de les divulguer, de les reproduire ou d'en utiliser de quelque manière que ce soit le contenu. Si ce message vous a été transmis par erreur, merci d'en informer l'expéditeur et de supprimer immédiatement de votre système informatique ce courriel ainsi que tous les documents qui y sont attachés."
******
" This e-mail and any attached documents may contain confidential or proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any dissemination, copying of this e-mail and any attachments thereto or use of their contents by any means whatsoever is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please advise the sender immediately and delete this e-mail and all attached documents from your computer system."
#