[rabbitmq-discuss] Ensuring low latency for publishers

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Tue Feb 21 17:58:57 GMT 2012

On 21/02/12 17:51, Eric wrote:
 > First, does publishing
 > a message require a roundtrip to the broker?

No. Well, there are various ways you can force it to, but by default
it's async.

 > so I'm assuming publishing is essentially a 0ms
 > operation

Well, you still have the one way network latency - or do you mean from
the point of view of the client?

 > but I want to be sure.  Second, if the broker is throttling
 > via "TCP backpressure" (which I'm having a hard time finding a good
 > definition for) will that increase publisher latency?

Maybe we should call it TCP flow control? But yes, if your broker is out
of memory, publishing will block until the broker is ready to read again.

Would you rather drop the message at this point?

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, VMware